Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Tyrant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 25, 2003 at 11:44:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Tyrant posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 24, 2003 at 12:41:48:

Well, I was referring to horn playing, actually, not tuba. I have a fantastic time in brass band on the Eb tuba part.

Yes, you are correct, I am looking for "just right." I'm in the unique position of having professional level musical skills (degree in violin performance) but amateur level technical skills on horn. I would have a plethora of opportunities to play violin, including professional level, if I enjoyed playing it any more, which I don't.

I have been told, and it is also obvious, that Tucson is a very difficult city to be a pro-am player, and even a pro player, on anything but a stringed instrument. A very few pros have all the (very few) gigs tied up, and that's that. Even Mark Nelson, who is a world class tubist, finds himself playing in amateur level groups, the same ones I play in. I think it frustrates him too, probably at a level far beyond what it frustrates me, because I'm not trying to make a living, just to have some fun without having my ears burnt off.

And, I have gotten the call a few times in the last couple of years to play in better groups. Unfortunately these opportunites arise only once or twice a year (for anyone, not just me) and that is why I am complaining.

Mary "wants it just right" Ann

Follow Ups: