Re: Re: Re: Re: Finger length/playing trouble

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 25, 2003 at 11:31:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Finger length/playing trouble posted by Doug on March 25, 2003 at 10:47:37:

This picture is as good as I can do. It shows enough to show what it does, but not enough to show how it does it. John Swenson made it for me. It is basically a reproduction of the stock valve button, with a hole instead of a threaded shaft, and solid brass instead of the mother-of-pearl inlay. John machined a shallow slot into the top of the button, and made a plate that would fit into that shallow slot, so that it could slide back and forth. He then machined a slot for the screw, which screws down into the stem conventionally. This gives you about a half inch of adjustment, and also accommodates the require shape of the underside of the York Master button. The York Master has a rather complicated felt bumber arrangement making this a requirement.

The more vertical arrangement of the valves on the Holton made this unnecessary, once Lee put decent-sized valve buttons on it.

The problem in this case was not my short pinky, but the angle of the valves and the high position of my upper body. I could also have solved the problem by repositioning the leadpipe, but I didn't want to mess with that.

Rick "who hates digital cameras but who admits they are sometimes useful" Denney

Follow Ups: