Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 24, 2003 at 21:52:53:

In Reply to: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium posted by Rasheed A. Akande on March 24, 2003 at 18:06:22:

I have no horn for sale, but maybe I can give you some directions to pursue:

$1000: A Weril, which has one key advantage over the Yamaha with its large-shank mouthpiece receiver. It is non-compensating, and John may be correct. It is probably more like a 321 with a 641 leadpipe, cheapified so mortals can afford it.

$1200-1800: A nice, old Besson Sovereign, a Besson New Standard or Boosey Imperial from the middle-to-late 70's. These are compensating instruments and play just fine if in good condition (and at this price they should be). In many ways, they are as good as the latest crop of instruments. They were state-of-the-art 20+ years ago, which is not a bad strategy in your position. I have a Besson New Standard (?--the engraving doesn't say) that was made in 1974. In my tuba-geek ears, and despite having been beaten nearly to death, its sound is nearly identical to the latest Sovereign, and it has very similar blowing characteristics. It lacks precisely two water keys that the current Sovereigns possess, plus another half inch of bell rim. Other than that, they are identical. Such instruments regularly sell for well under $2000. It would be good enough to carry you to a new Willson or similar, and when that time comes it will sell for what you paid for it.

The only reason all the compensators in this price range are Bessons is that Besson owned the patents on compensation until the middle or late 70's, and so only Bessons are old enough to be in this price range.

Anove $2000: Now you are in used later model compensator territory.

As to Joe's advice, there's a truth that all people in the online world need to keep in mind, that comes from AA where people are always hearing "advice": Take what you need and leave the rest.

By the way, congratulations on getting in the Texas All-State Band. In Texas especially, that's quite an accomplishment.

Rick "trying to be helpful" Denney

Follow Ups: