Re: Accompanist Payment Issue Advice Neede

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony on March 24, 2003 at 10:51:57:

In Reply to: Accompanist Payment Issue Advice Neede posted by Matt A on March 24, 2003 at 07:56:26:

I went thru this very situation. Most schools do not provide accompanists, although there are usually some local freelance piano players that hang around to get the cash. There are usually never enough piano players around for all the work required. There were three tuba players working up the Hindemith at one time, so we all tried to use the same pianist. She had never played it. She was russian and trained at the Moscow Conservatory. She could play russian romantic lit. like no one else....Hindemith was a bit different. I was first on tap to rehearse with her, so I kinda had to clear the way for the others. The majority of rehearsal was used teaching her the music. She scheduled an extra rehearsal so I could help her with it. Only problem, she wanted to get paid. I told her I wanted to get paid for my practice time too. I was not happy, because I was expected to pay the learning fee for everyone in the studio, and it was still sub par work at best. Lack of communication before the process was an issue, also...partly because she barely spoke english. negotiations were tough. I am sure we both learned lessons. I certainly looked to my teacher for advice, and he helped, a bit. Mostly, he agreed with me that I should not have to bear the brunt of the learning fee for the pianist. I basically decided what was reasonable for the pianist to get paid from what I used her for, and gave that to her. I never used her again. I felt confident with this because my teacher supported the decision. I should note that this pianist was the second I tried...the first was a grad student, and when we had the first rehearsal, she could not play it at all. I took the music back and looked for someone else. This person demanded payment for the rehearsal. I didn't pay, but I tried to be nice about it. My teacher also supported me on this.

Before I start to look like a huge ass on this, let me say this...I already had a great relationship with one accompanist, who was too busy to learn the Hindemith(she played everything else with me). When this piansist moved, I quickly developed a great relationship with another fine pianist. I was also friends with the head of the piano faculty, and this professor never played the Hindemith and wanted to learn it. I was into it, so we did it on my junior recital. he signed me up for piano chamber music as a class, and we both got credit for the load. Plus, we rehearsed it(the whole recital actually) once a week for a whole semester. This is the way to go.

My advice, then: If you want to continue to use this pianist, pay the extra money. if not, then don't. You already payed the agreed upon price, so you really aren't obligated to pay hidden extra charges not previously discussed. Just don't count on this person agreeing to play for you again.

Follow Ups: