Re: Accompanist Payment Issue Advice Neede

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on March 24, 2003 at 10:18:39:

In Reply to: Accompanist Payment Issue Advice Neede posted by Matt A on March 24, 2003 at 07:56:26:

Always be weary of an accompanist who doesn't ask for a reference recording of the peices your working on if they haven't played them before. Most pianists haven't played a lot of the repertiore for tuba before and the approach to the writing is vastly different than all of the Mozart Flute and Violin concerto's they practice with in accompaniament class.

Confront you pianist on why you feel what she was payed was what you feel she deserved. Not in a demeaning manner, but a "constructive criticism" manner. Possibly even talk to her teacher about the situation. This could be a valuable learning experience for her also.

In the future, hire the best pianist you can find. Don't worry about "giving back" or helping out the students at your school. This isn't anything against them, but you don't want to have to worry about your pianist for a senior recital. For a pro, I even would include a "tip" if they did their best during rehearsals and performances. This helps to develop a relationship between not only yourself and the pianist for any future needs, but the pianist might even be more willing to accompany the next tuba player that comes along. A lot of pianists out there have the same misconception about tuba players as the general populus, it helps if we play our best and pay them the utmost respect!

Even with my lackluster abilities, I was able to change the perspective of a few pianist while I was in college. Especially when they start to get into the music as much as the soloist.

Bottom line, I would do what you feel is best, and unless she understands in the future that she must come to a rehearsal with her part at least as prepared as yours, I wouldn't call her again.

BTW, whenever I played with a student who was "learning" how to accompany, I didn't pay. But if they did a good job, I take 'em out for a beer or throw $20 their way for their trouble if they were assigned to me. But I usually didn't take the ones on assignment because they would come unprepared and unwilling to learn the part. Even when a recording was offered for them to listen to they would turn it down in most cases.

Good luck!

Matt G

Follow Ups: