Prokofiev CD & music you MUST have!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on March 24, 2003 at 08:00:26:

As executive director and tubist for the Michigan Chamber Brass (large symphonic brass group), I own many, many brass recordings. There is one recording I have gone back to listen to time again that I feel every tuba and euphonium player should own. It is The English Chamber Brass Ensemble's recording "Russian Brass". It is an Academy Sound and Vision LTD (ASV) recording, CD # CD DCA 629. I think this is available through Tap Music.

The disc contains Prokofiev's "Ten Pieces for Romeo and Juliet" (scored for 543.12 & perc) and two string quartet's expertly arranged for brass quintet. Those are Prokofiev's Sonata No. 7, Op. 83" and Shotakovich's "Quartet No 7, Op. 108". All arrangements are by former PJBE trumpeter (and lead on this CD)Paul Archibald. The tuba playing on the quintet work by James Gourley is absolutely mind blowing! Imagine the cello part for any string quartet, well enough one by Prokofiev or Shostakovich. Then imagine attempting it on the tuba. It is amazing how easy Gourly makes it sound.

The "Ten Pieces from Romeo and Juliet" is equally impressive. A great work for larger ensemble, it adds Patrick Harrild on tuba and some awesome euphonium playing by Robert Childs (the euph part is very difficult). After listening to the CD for a few years, I contacted Paul Archibald to see if this arrangement was available. It was not at time but he worked through Brasswind Publications to make it available. I received my copy the other day and it is beautiful. I wish all publishers would put their packages together this nicely. If you have or play in a large brass ensemble you should check this one out. The cost is 85 pounds British Sterling and is available through:

BRASS WIND Publications
4 St Mary's Road
Manton, Oakham
Rutland LE15 8SU,
United Kingdom
Tel: 0152 737409/737210
Fax: 01572 737409
E-mail: info(AT)brasswindpublications.com
Web: www.brasswindpublications.com

Anyway, I apologize for such a long thread. This is such a great recording and to now have the music available, I just thought more people should be aware of it.

Enjoy

Follow Ups: