Re: Re: Public schools tubas MS level

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on March 23, 2003 at 00:47:59:

In Reply to: Re: Public schools tubas MS level posted by Doug Whitten on March 23, 2003 at 00:13:21:

Mr. Whitten,

After finally calculating the time, my old MS has been open for 12 years going on 13, and has had the same 3 concert tubas the whole time, and they literally look brand-spanking new. Of course, sometimes the tuba tamers are a real PAIN to move around--this year at festival they used them for the performance but not in sight-reading.

I'm fond of the sound I get out of the YBB 201, even with just 3 valves. But if i had to hold one of those suckers for an extended period of time, especially being a little 6th grader, I'd probably just give up.

The 3/4 horns were rented out at the start of the year and stayed at my house until the end of the year. And I was expected to treat it like my own property.

There was some awkwardness having to switch between a small front action and a large top action all the time, but now that i think on it, it made me more comfortable later on the first time i got a "real" front action horn.

Back from that tangent in nostalgia, I'll admit i've never gotten to play a Holton, so I really can't compare, except that my Getzen is American and she's TOUGH. Not as tough as my miraphone, but alternatively, the miraphone has a lot more dents (and is 30 years older).

That being said, the interesting thing with the tuba tamers is that the Band Director is a percussionist. But he puts more attention on his tubas and tuba players than just about anyone else.

Of course, buying 2 sets of tubas and a fleet of tuba tamers (and then being able to transport it all) isn't a possibility for everyone financially or otherwise. But it's worth it if you can do it.

Doug "needs sleep" G

Follow Ups: