Re: Looking for an inexpensive euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 22, 2003 at 20:07:00:

In Reply to: Looking for an inexpensive euphonium posted by Poor tubist on March 22, 2003 at 18:49:29:

The Weril is just what you seek. It is similar to the Yamaha 321, but with a large-shank mouthpiece receiver. It has four in-line valves which is easier for tuba players. It is well within your price range.

Joe Sellmansberger at Mid-South music in Memphis has them (though he may or may not have them in stock) and Dave Fedderly at Baltimore Brass usually has a few in stock. Give one of them a call, and if they have one they'll pick you a good one and send it right out.

Another option that is even cheaper is the oval euphonium from Violinking, who is located in Houston. I hesitate to mention it, but Glenn Call (former Marine Band euphoniumist) swears by them, and claims that at least a dozen of his qualified buddies have also bought them and also think they are excellent. They have four rotary valves. He says they are better than any European oval euphonium, and more than worthy for the application you mention. Find Violinking on ebay, and then go to his web site. The silly things are about $400 if I recall correctly. They are Chinese, of course, which is normally a major warning sign, and I would not mention it were it not for Glenn's strong experience-based recommendation.

Rick "tempted by one of the Violinking euphs himself" Denney

Follow Ups: