Re: Re: Tuba Tyrant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 22, 2003 at 15:47:21:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba Tyrant posted by Alan Herold on March 22, 2003 at 12:15:54:

Alan provides excellent advice.

Also keep in mind that this guy may not be as good as you in the technical areas you are considering, but he may be better in that band than you think. He may be a great reader, or have a huge amount of experience and therefore a good understanding of style, or a really clear idea from long association what the director wants. If you assume you're better just because you sound better during the warmup, you might miss the chance of learning something useful from the fellow.

But you should realize this: There's one thing the guy has proved that you haven't. He has proven his commitment to the group. You can only prove that when you've put in the time. In a community band, that commitment is hugely valuable.

Believe me--if you approach him with respect for his position, demonstrate commitment, and if you are really better than he is, he will eventually share the spotlight with you. If you do anything to threaten what he has built for himself, he will enforce his position.

I've had lots of better players come and sit next to me, and I welcome them. I don't welcome their burying the dynamics or assuming that all the solos are for them to play and so on. Community bands often do not appreciate the competitiveness in school bands or in some professional situations.

Rick "respect is a two-way street" Denney

Follow Ups: