Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 20, 2003 at 14:03:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: posted by Tom C. on March 20, 2003 at 13:30:02:

When Joe said that he would demonstrate good playing to 150-300 people at a time in his jazz gig, you asked if he would use his best orchestral tone, or if something less perfect was more appropriate. Less perfect than an orchestral tone? That's what confused me. I didn't make the inference that Joe was arguing that a crappy tone was acceptable in the jazz idiom, but I did make the connection that Joe thought we ought not to measure all tuba performance through the orchestral filter. If that's the point you were making, then of course I agree, but I confess that your sardonic wit flew right over my head.

It would not be the first time, heh, heh.

My point was that if we only evaluate performance based on music-school orchestral tone, we are advocating a standard that would have condemned Miles Davis.

(The TubaMeisters turned a corner when we realized that working with the stereotype instead of against it was the best way to dispell it. People expected to see four tuba players wearing lederhosen. They did not expect us to play Innagadda-da-polka, and they did not expect our oompah contrabass player to be the soloist who would sing through Edelweiss so beautifully. To dispell the myth, you first have to define it. The Edelweiss schtick worked precisely because they had heard him play oompahs for 15 minutes, and Innagadda-da-polka was entertaining precisely because it was being played on four tubas by guys wearing lederhosen.)

Rick "sometimes a little slow on the uptake" Denney

Follow Ups: