Re: Tuba Style Fashion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on March 16, 2003 at 11:11:11:

In Reply to: Tuba Style Fashion posted by Psychologist on March 16, 2003 at 06:08:39:

I understand your point. Styles and tastes do certainly change, which may be large factors. Sound SHOULD be the most important factor, and I think it is among professionals. The problem is that tastes can, and do, change over time. When I was in high school, everybody played on a piston horn, but everybody wanted a Mirafone. When I was in college, I owned a Mirafone, but sold it for a Kurath. My taste changed. (I did keep my Rudy 3/4) I don't know if it was a situation where there was a fad, and then the novelty wore off, or I was following the same current as the pros. I'll have to ponder that further. Now I know that I love each type of sound/horn but for different applications. I wish I could justify having both. I also remember that the perception was that the east coast was "Alexander", the west coast was "Mirafone", and the middle of the country was "York". I can listen to records of mine and distinguish between LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Boston, NYP, Berlin, London, Philharmonia, Vienna, etc. Each had its own VERY distinct sound. (tuba sound too) Anyone who was an avid listener could identify the orchestra in question right away. When I compare modern recordings, it's harder to tell the difference, even between American orchestras and some European orchestras. Maybe it's just me, but as the years have gone by, the sounds seem to be more homogonized. I don't know if this parallels your subject, but it is a trend that I wish would stop. When I was growing up, the perception of European orchestras was that they "let it all hang out" (listen to some old recordings of the Berlin trumpets and you'll see). They were believed to be not as precise as American orchestras. They really felt the music and didn't worry about precision. They were steeped in tradition. Those were our perceptions at the time, anyway. I was recently listening to a radio broadcast on NPR. I tuned in late, and from the sound of the low brass (esp. tuba) determined that it was probably the NY Phil. To my dismay, it was revealed at the end that it was Vienna, not NY. I was absolutely convinced it was an American orchestra from the style and precision, as well as the overall sound and balance. Either this homogonization trend is true or I'm just losing it. Trends in tubas will surely come and go. I wish this trend in orchestras would just go. Is it possible that these trends correlate? It seems that every tuba player is going "American", even many in Europe, changing the sound of the low brass. Homogonization of the professional tuba world. Can that be a contributing factor in what is happening to orchestras?
Doc (who may be going out on a limb)

Follow Ups: