Re: Concerned about my future

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on March 14, 2003 at 12:03:51:

In Reply to: Concerned about my future posted by Julian on March 14, 2003 at 01:49:37:

If I may wax philosiphical...
Do you want security enough to sacrifice your happiness? If you love music and really, truly want to be a music teacher, then don't worry so much about security. The market is not so bad that someone who makes a good honest effort will not find a job. Furthermore, economy is fluid. There's no way to predict what demand will be like in ten years, which will still be relatively early in your career. Have confidence in your abilities to find success.
When I read your message, I keep seeing phrases like 'income', 'jobs', 'market', 'cutbacks', 'laid off'. Most of these are factors beyond your control. Instead of constantly envisioning yourself on the brink of financial ruin in an insecure economy, envision yourself landing the perfect job at the perfect school and building a vibrant musical program. Do not underestimate the power of positive thinking - with your mind specifically on a goal, you will subconsciously direct all your efforts towards that goal.
Do you define a 'good job' by how much money you make, even if you don't enjoy the work? Do you define 'success' in terms of material goods, rather than emotional and spiritual well-being?
If the answer is yes to those questions, then by your definitions maybe you would indeed have been better off as an accountant. But I would first question those definitions, because to me they don't seem like a fufilling philosiphy of life.

Good luck,
Rob

Follow Ups: