Re: 25J playing characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on March 12, 2003 at 01:49:38:

In Reply to: 25J playing characteristics posted by SHS Tubamaster on March 11, 2003 at 19:52:37:

I have a big Conn with the short action valves and both bells, and I really like it. But maybe not for everything!

I took it to a couple of band rehearsals and the director loved it - claimed he hadn't heard so much "bottom" in years. My section mate has a small BBb and it makes a really nice combination, particularly in divisi passages.

I think you ought to talk to Lee Stofer about it - he is really an expert on these big horns. He says he has been successful even in small groups with a bell front model. I suspect mostly due to superior skill, but also he told me that adding a piece of slit plastic tube around the bell rim helped to focus the sound a lot.

But also I suspect that he would probably not recommend one for everyone for every occasion.

I think what Dale said is reasonable advice - the Conn is a big beastie and it's great fun to play in the same sense that it would be great fun to drive a bulldozer down a crowded city street - tremendous feeling of power, etc! If you want a truly huge effortless earthmoving sound the Conn can't be beat, but it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea and might not be well received in all contexts.

I also agree with the remark that even when played quietly it has enormous presence that might be inappropriate for some situations. But heck, if you're basically going to be playing in community bands and outdoor concerts, it might be just fine. It's a real kick to play one!

Follow Ups: