Re: 25J playing characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tabor on March 12, 2003 at 00:10:48:

In Reply to: 25J playing characteristics posted by SHS Tubamaster on March 11, 2003 at 19:52:37:

I am familiar with these horns. The offset valves are really cool, but I don't think they really matter as much as many people might think. The horn does not play in tune nearly as well as a Mirafone. The overall quality of the horn is in the metal, and not in the finish. If you are looking for a horn to lay down a massive sound in a large ensemble, the big Conn will sound great, but I think that you can get a greater variety of sounds from the Mirafone. I can take my Mirafone anywhere. Whether I am playing in a large ensemble or a pit orchestra, it won't let me down. I would never take one of those Conn beasts to play in a pit orchestra or in a quintet.

Also, nobody has ever complained that they couldn't hear me in a large ensemble. While the big Conn instruments really do shake the rafters, the Mirafones have a real growl to them when matched with a good mouthpiece. The sound can be remarkably commanding. While I am superbly happy with my Mirafone, I do want to purchase a big Conn or similar instrument for just those times when I want to revel in the big, fat tuba sound.

(since I don't think Rick D. will will me his Holton....).

Tabor, "who is still keeping his fingers crossed and looking in pawn shops" F.

Follow Ups: