a pause for thought.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micky Wrobleski on March 11, 2003 at 23:06:51:

I was mopping my floors this morning, and I was thinking about the plight of the musicians of the Houston Symphony, which is really something that could be facing many of our orchestras soon.

Here are some things I thought would be good questions for some of the younger, aspiring player to think about and answer as well as some of our more seasoned musicians on the list...

1) Why are orchestras important?

2) Why should people want to spend there money on concert tickets when they could spend the money on a vienna beef, fries, and a coke after a hard day of filling potholes on the Eisenhower? Or, since city workers make decent money, why should someone want to pay for a ticket if they are working dodging bullets from a local Polish gang on the corner of Archer and Cicero? (streets and locations don't matter, the point should be obvious)

3) Why should one really persue a career as a professional musician?

4) What is the most important role that we will play/service we will provide?

5) Why should the public-at-large care if an orchestra is alive or if it goes under?

I have my own answers to these questions, and will post them later. In light of the new trend that is befalling so many ensembles, I think this is some good food for thought...

Cordially,
Micky Wrobleski

Follow Ups: