Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on March 11, 2003 at 21:45:16:

In Reply to: Shall tubas have their own scale systems posted by Klaus on March 11, 2003 at 21:18:10:

Klaus, I believe you have set a new world record for length of a post. Additionally, I have set a personal best in terms of the length of a post read.

I believe I understand your point and would agree with you for most of it. However, as you point out in your anecdote about the choir, there is often more involved in a performance than simply having a full ensemble of well-trained musicians. As Rick has often stated, the first rule of performing with an ensemble should perhaps be to "do no harm." If a tuba section, or any other section, adopts this as its first goal, they will be led to make compromises when necessary. I sometimes play in groups where there are times I know I am not playing the pitch at the proper frequency. I adjust because I know the others either cannot or will not do so. To me, this makes for the best contribution I can make. Is this ideal? Certainly not! Just wishing and hoping won't make it so.

And lastly, Klaus, please stop making those comments about my being big, fat, brainless, and without an ear. Even if I happen to resemble that remark.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: