Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Sym

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zac on March 11, 2003 at 16:10:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Sym posted by disagree on March 11, 2003 at 15:19:09:

I went to www.upbeat.com and read their side. To be really honest I didn't find anything that would make me change my mind. 9 vacation weeks but their defense was that they still have to practice so it is not really a vacation...give me a break. They mentioned that the salaries are comperable to those of an accountant, engineer and flight instructor but these positions do not require them to purchase and maintain expensive equipment such as a violin. Doesn't a flight instructor need a plane? I think those can be a little expensive. And as far as their argument about the training that is needed and how the cost to attend Julliard can easily reach $100,000 does not hold water. A local university charges $25,000 a year for tuition for ANY major. You do the math.

As far as all the money in Houston, yes that is the Board's and the administration's fault. If they are not doing their job to raise money then they should be replaced. Development and marketing should be held accountable. At the same time if subscriptions aren't being renewed maybe people don't like the programming. That point never seems to come up...maybe the artistic director isn't meeting the public's demands and if ticket sales or donations are low I would say that could be a problem.

My comment about the orchestra donating a service was meant to point out that the group as a whole will not donate their time. I am sure there are many individuals that donate their time but does the orchestra as a whole? Probably not. The ORCHESTRA asks for money but the ORCHESTRA as a whole does not give...that is a problem.

I am sorry for airing this personal debate on the bbs but the person who responded did not leave an email address so that we may converse in private.

Zac

Follow Ups: