Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Sym

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Here we go again on March 11, 2003 at 15:59:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Houston Sym posted by David on March 11, 2003 at 11:39:26:

"for rehearsals and concerts and, unless I am mistaken, most symphony rehearsal/concert schedules are far less than 40 hours a week."

Yes actual time in rehearsal/concerts may be less than 40 hours a week, so what? Unlike John Q. Public, musicians on the professional orchestral level have a lot of outside of the orchestra prep time that way makes up for the low hours actually on the job. brass players spend time every day warming up for each service, practicing for upcoming services. everyone has to do this. Ask an oboe player how many hours they spend making reeds...just so they can be perfect ON the clock.

You can not equate a unique job like an orchestra to a regular 9-5er. Its a different ballgame altogether. I also find it silly that we would ask a professional musician making 65,000 a year to donate their professional services, and yet we don't expect professional athletes making millions, to do their jobs(games) for free, so the prices arent so high for tickets. These people in Houston are professionals. They deserve to be paid, and it will never be what they are worth. If you can't sympathize with their plot, then I think you are part of the problem, as to why classical and performing arts in music are dying, fast. And this is coming from people who play musical instruments on this board.

As a professional tuba player, I play for free way more than I should, and there are a lot of guys out there that do the same. Its simple. These are jobs and peoples lives. They are striking because their jobs are in jeopardy and management was wanting to cut more. The HSO has been playing without a contract since October. can you do your job under those circumstances. HSO will save money, now that they dont have to pay thos bastard musicians while they are on strike. Sarcasm. C'mon people. Life would suck without music like this.

tony

Follow Ups: