Re: Buying first tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce on March 11, 2003 at 13:52:23:

In Reply to: Buying first tuba posted by Jim P. on March 10, 2003 at 19:23:20:

I have been in the same situatiuon as you two times. the first was after a 20 year layoff from playing in college. i went with a bflat cerveny 641 (new)...loved the horn. played in orchestra, community band, brass quintet. horn worked well in all settings. than came another 5 year layoff and i sold the cerveny. last year, i strated up again and bought a jupiter 582 in silver. horn was just too big for me, especially with the molded hard case....so i sold it and bought the weril bflat 3/4 front action piston valved horn. the horn is the right price but has son playing characteristics i don't like. i do like the size, a am a bit older now and it is easy to lug around. i have some concerns about the community band this summer. i think the horn may be a wee bit too small for that setting. of course, price is always an issue. so i am lookinf again for the"perfect"horn. will i ever be satisfied...probably not but i suspect i will change horna again in about a year. if i could be assured that the lidl 701 would fit thew bill for me, i probably would get one in a heartbeat. in the community band, i am one of fron 4 to 7 tubas so that issue may not be a big issue...there are enought tubas to carry the section without me. if someone owns a lidl 701, i would like to get their impressions

Follow Ups: