Re: Re: Re: Buying first tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on March 11, 2003 at 10:33:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Buying first tuba posted by Rick Denney on March 10, 2003 at 23:54:48:

With all due respect - I think that you have pushed this point just too hard and I disagree. Yes, I agree that BBb and CC tubas of the same quality do not generally cost the same (CC usually being more expensive) and yes, a very capable tubist can sound great on either horn, but NO, it's not silly for a returning amateur to consider a CC tuba because they may find that they sound better and can produce better music on one than on a BBb. This is not uncommon! The same goes for Eb, maybe also for F. You don't know until you try.

Live within your means, but the price difference should not put someone off from trying horns in other keys. I have played next tubists with BBb's, CC's and Eb's that have all sounded great in community bands, and all in the same section at the same time. Find the horn that works for you!!! If you really are driven just by price, go for the Eb. There are plenty of older ones out there, used, that would probably do a good enough job supporting a community band. BUT PRICE IS NOT THE POINT, MUSIC IS!!

In the 70's and 80's I supported at least 3 community bands with a 3 valve Conn Eb top loader, and it worked. It gave a different flavor to the low end than your Holton 345 or my Neptune would, but it still worked well.

Like you, I have played in several amateur orchestras and more community bands than I care to remember. There are a few things the outstanding amateur tubists, that I've played with, had in common: 1. They were musicians first and tubists second. 2. They didn't give a damn what key the horn was in, they picked the one that they sounded great with. 3. Music was all about having fun and making the ensemble sound great. The equipment is important, but secondary.

I am amazed at the number of people on this board who push one key of horn over another just because it works better for them. I say - go for the music with whatever equipment works for you, but find out what works for YOU.

BTW - If I won the lottery today, I would probably buy an F and also learn to play the cello! (I guess that's what happens when you listen to Yo Yo Ma play the Bach Cello Suites!)

Enjoy,
Rex

Follow Ups: