Re: Re: Into the unknown...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 10, 2003 at 17:40:43:

In Reply to: Re: Into the unknown... posted by Mark on March 06, 2003 at 22:05:30:

Well, I agree with you. Learning my CC fingerings, which is going on now, is just that. I'm not learning to read a different clef, because it's still C bass clef. A C is still a C, not suddenly an Eb or a G.

On horn, I read different clefs (horn in F, horn in Eb, etc,) which, I guess, is transposing. The harmonic series is represented the same on the clef, but the pitches change. A C is no longer a C, but becomes an F or an Eb.

So tubas are same clef, different instruments, and horns are same instrument, different clefs. CC tuba, BTW, uses the same fingerings on C bass clef as an F horn does for horn in F bass clef. For that reason, when a horn-playing friend of mine wanted to learn tuba, I told him to get a CC. At least then all he has to do is change embouchure and air, without the fingering-changing headaches. Altho there is the switch from left hand to right....but that never seems to be a major problem.

Follow Ups: