Re: Kalison Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan C. on March 09, 2003 at 20:29:03:

In Reply to: Kalison Tubas? posted by Jordan Henry on March 09, 2003 at 17:19:14:

I own a Kalison Daryl Smith model, which is the same as a Pro 2000 except with a smaller bell. These horns have good things and bad things about them. If you are an aspiring orchestral musician, this is not the best horn to have; however, if you are a music ed. major, aspiring college professor, or just need a cheap, quality CC tuba for a few years, this might be the right horn.

The best thing about my Kalison is the low range. Very open and beautiful, easy to play in. However, the high range is a little bit tougher on these and isn't as nice as the low range. Intonation is a bit different on these horns and takes some getting used to. I notice people tend to overemphasize this problem; if you have a good ear, it is not as bad as they make it seem (which would be true on any instrument for that matter). I can't be certain, but I think the bell is handmade. As for the rest of the horn I am not sure. Sound is in general pretty good, but can get bright at very loud volumes (which can be a good or bad thing).

Just from my prior experience, I would advise you to stay away from tuba exchange. I doubt the price on that Pro 2000 on the web page is correct. It looks a little low for Tuba Exchange standards. You can always call and find out if you are still interested, but I would definetly proceed with caution.

There are several people selling used Kalisons, you might try and contact them. If you are interested I am selling my Daryl Smith with a R&B gig bag for $3,700.

Good luck!

-Dan C.

Follow Ups: