Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Practicing tips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JeffO on March 07, 2003 at 18:46:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Practicing tips posted by Rick Denney on March 07, 2003 at 17:51:23:

Thanks. I think many of the overuse injuries you mentioned are to undue and unusual stress on the skeletal system, as in with football players who constantly push against other people's bodies which is unnatural and uncontrolable. The bikers butt :) and iliotibial band syndrome are good examples though. What I was getting at is people don't usually have to stop training becauase they did too many curls and wore out their biceps forevermore.

The nerve stuff is not something I was not aware of. Thanks for the specific examples. I was wondering if people ruining their chops was either just myth or people using it as an excuse. That's pretty scary.

You said:
"Many competitive long-distance runners are finding that their performance improves when they lower their training from the traditional 125 miles a week to 90 miles a week"

As I alluded to in another post I believe this would be the case with some brass players who are overdoing it. But since it involves so much skill, if someone has the chops to practice 6 hours a day and not damage themselves (if that's possible), that's great.

I take one day off a week. I think that can be of help and often improve in a physical sense more after that day off than any other day. I go hard the rest of the week, sometimes too hard, still fine tuning.

Thanks again.
Jeff

Follow Ups: