Re: Re: Re: Paper on an aspect of the tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on March 07, 2003 at 11:12:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Paper on an aspect of the tuba posted by Tabor on March 06, 2003 at 21:59:15:

I'm sure Rick Denney can adequate defend himself, but since I happen to know him very well, I feel compelled to respond to your obviously negative post referencing him.

First of all, I doubt there are more than one or two of us, worldwide, who can become another Arnold Jacobs by simply practicing MORE. The truth is few of us have the talent level he had. In fact, even if we do, more practice is not always the answer. In most cases what we need to do is practice SMARTER. I realize not everyone understands this. Actually, most of us could do well to further develop our understanding of this. Certainly, it takes a great deal of practice to become a world-class player. It also takes incredible innate ability and smart use of that ability. I, for one, do not have word-class ability. I sincerely doubt I will ever play like Patrick Sheridan, no matter how much I practice. I believe I have learned to practice with some intelligence, however.

As for Rick Denney, he is a very intelligent man who knows a great deal about the tuba. Despite his comments concerning his inadequate tuba playing, I know him to be a more than adequate player. I doubt that he will ever play like Patrick Sheridan. Even though he and I both would like to play on the highest level, we have other things in life which call for our attention. Neither of us are going to waste our time practicing so much that those important things are going to be neglected. We both love to play tuba. We are passionate about it. We will continue to practice to try to become better players. And here's the part the above poster needs to understand. We both learn from our participation on this list, and we hope we can be of some contribution to others lives by the things we write. Rick, far better than myself, has much to contribute to TubeNet. I, as well as most others on this list, can learn a great deal from what he writes. I will continue to practice, and I will continue to participate in this BBS.

To those who think Rick's posts are either too long or not worth reading, don't read them. He will neither know, nor care, that you did not. I, for one, will continue to read them, and learn.

Just my opinion.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: