Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Summer Camp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 06, 2003 at 12:53:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Summer Camp posted by :) on March 06, 2003 at 10:44:02:

Yes, I did read your last post, in which you were very rude in the face of offered assistance. I replied by pointing out that, when you were first asked about camp experience, you dodged the question. I went on to tell you why I had no answer to the question you asked.

Please keep in mind that the members of this board are not your hired help. We may answer your questions or not answer them, we may bring up related points, we may pretty much say any dang thing we want, as long as we aren't overly vulgar, overly commercial, or too far off the topic of tubas. Common courtesy would suggest that you should thank people for offers of help, even if you decline to take advantage of those offers.

If you haven't gotten the answer you need, perhaps you should elaborate on what you are seeking. In this case, for example, before anyone could suggest materials, they'd need to know the objectives. Are you working on section playing? Solo/ensemble/all-state prep? Articulation? A guy like me can't help you no matter how clear your request, because I'm just not qualified, period. The guys who can help have such a vast arsenal of tools, it's kind of like asking an auto mechanic "what tools should I use to fix my car", without telling him what's wrong with it.

Well, history is the best teacher. I expect your response to be some sort of huffy rebuke, and I really couldn't care less (in the specific case -- I am DEEPLY troubled at the growing arrogance of people these days, in general). I do hope you're more polite and respectful to your students and to the band directors 'behind you' than you are to the contributors to this board.

Joe Baker, who wonders why a guy who has taught tuba sections at camp for 5 years wants ME to tell him which materials to use.

Follow Ups: