Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer Tuba Camp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 06, 2003 at 12:15:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer Tuba Camp posted by Tort Dude on March 06, 2003 at 11:37:26:

Ahh, but isn't there something inherently negligent about putting a bunch of (mostly male) adolescents in a room with valuable instruments during their summer vacation? ;)

Seriously, if it's sanctioned by the school district, and you are an employee, you are largely (but perhaps not fully; ask your attorney) protected. If not, take precautions. Also, remember it isn't just what we would normally consider negligence you have to worry about. McDonalds was successfully sued for millions, for serving their coffee hot! If a kid drops his new Hirsbrunner off the corner of his chair, a jury just might find that you chose a school with a floor that's too hard or chairs that are too slippery.

I must say that I think day camp is a much more prudent idea (than the previously assumed residential camp), and will make the experience much more feasible for many students. I wish you great success if you do go forward with it.

Joe Baker, who thinks explaining that 'camp' means 'day camp' helps a lot.

Follow Ups: