Re: Re: Re: Grantham...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by i beg to differ on March 06, 2003 at 03:56:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Grantham... posted by A voice from afar on March 04, 2003 at 19:48:31:

While I would agree that it is a good idea to practice and play the ink, I also think it is a good idea to let you show a little bit of yourself in the music. I think someone said at one time..."The music lives, breathes, and adjusts" If it's you and you can sell it, then great. When playing in recital or concerts, I play PLENTY of stuff not on the page, as do a lot of folks. The conductors always seem to be supportive if I have provided them good reasoning for the seasoning...Granted, I have been called to the floor a few times for going a tad too far, but, I'm a quick learner.

I would recommend pleasing four out of five dentists first, however...

In other words, run it by some NON-tuba playing musicians. If they dig it, then approach the metronome and ask them what they think. Or, just surprise them in rehearsal, and talk to them after the fact, get their opinion, they like that sort of thing... Just make sure if you DO alter something that you nail the ba-jesus out of it. Sticking out like a sore thumb is ok, but make sure you're not covered in crap when you do it.

Micky "who oftentimes reads Rick Denny's posts just to see what he has inserted in quotation marks between his given and family names and is almost always brought to tears of laughter, just call it a sick/guilty pleasure, and what is his record for longest string of words separating the two anyway, is there a record of that sort of thing kept, i wonder..." Wrobleski

Follow Ups: