Re: Cerveny CBB 783-4MRX/793-4MRX

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on March 05, 2003 at 20:08:42:

In Reply to: Cerveny CBB 783-4MRX/793-4MRX posted by Wayne on March 05, 2003 at 19:03:28:

The 783 is a nice compact horn that would work well for a small ensemble, but I think it would be a little too small to carry a large group. I haven't compared a 783 to a 683 side by side, but I did play a 786 for a couple of years. Besides looking great (my wife always called it the "pretty tuba") I found the sound of the rose brass to be very mellow vs. yellow brass versions of this horn that I tried. I don't know if it's really worth the extra money, but it does look great and sounds nice.

I don't really care for the 693/793. I have found the ones that I have tried to be a little stuffy feeling and to have some intonation problems, I just can't remember the specifics. I prefer the CBB-601/701 for a large Cerveny BBb. It takes a lot of air, but can easily support a large ensemble by itself with the right player. It is the opposite end of the spectrum from the 683/783. It would probably overpower a quintet, but is a good, relatively inexpensive, large horn.

Follow Ups: