Re: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 03, 2003 at 17:39:21:

In Reply to: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC) posted by JoeS on March 02, 2003 at 23:24:15:

The following is far from my first thought on this topic; my first 10 or so thoughts have already been ably expressed. So here's another one, but first I wish to state for the record:
I am in favor of school-affiliated art and music programs.
Let me say that again:
I am in favor of school-affiliated art and music programs.

Okay, now that I have established that I am in favor of school-affiliated art and music programs, I must ask the question: just because something is essential for the development of children, does it NECESSARILY follow that the schools should be the source? I am thinking here about very poor districts that simply don't have a choice -- it's the band or the English department, the situation of students whose programs are of very poor quality, and the situation of MANY children who have the (in most ways) advantage of home schooling or attending small private schools (these usually still have a choir, but I think manipulation of some musical instrument is, long term, far more enlightening than singing alone).

I am of the opinion that what is needed is something along the lines of the legions of little boys and girls who toddle off to dance class or gymnastics every week. Many discover that they don't have the aptitude or interest to pursue the activity seriously or long term. Those who do have a head start, and continue to take lessons and improve throughout their adolescence -- invariably outside the context of school. Those who don't continue remember fondly that they "used to take dance/gymnastic lessons". This group may matter more in the long run. My wife took such lessons in dance and gymnastics for three or four years from ages of about 3 to 7. To this day, she loves to watch these activities, and mentions her lessons every time she watches them. She insisted that our little girls take lessons for a few years as well. The appreciation and development of those skills is being passed down, in front of my eyes, from parent to child, which I believe is the ideal.

I am convinced that a similar program in music would give children better odds of lifelong appreciation for music. So my question to the group is, what would such a music program look like (again, outside of NEA/State Board of Education/Etc. context)? Would it start with singing, clapping, simple rythm instruments, ear training...? At what age do you put an instrument in their hands or under their fingers -- and what instrument would that be? How many students could effectively be taught in groups at various ages?

Joe Baker, who thinks that matters of the heart are better taught by parents than schools, but better by schools than not at all.

Follow Ups: