Re: Re: Re: Re: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris R on March 03, 2003 at 17:34:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC) posted by Rick Denney on March 03, 2003 at 16:46:40:

I see where you're coming from now. I think I missunderstood your point. My bad...I was thinking about teaching music in my post. Certainly it's a bit difficult to learn the teachings of, say, the Ancient Greek philosophers by experiment. This is where the lecture medium would work best. But in music teaching, I would think that learning by doing is best. A student isn't going to learn about the emotion and feelings that are portrayed by music through lecture about notes and rhythyms. That sort of hands-on training shows students that music is emotion not black smudges on a piece of staff paper. But you're right, there are a number of ways to teach effectively. I think this would be determined by what the instructor feels works best for the course and by how the students take to the teaching. Ideally, a mixture of different teaching styles would work best.

It is true that schools don't provide a complete education, I totally agree with you. With the appearance of standarized testing, it has been the focus of school systems to be able to meet these "standards". Thus comes the method of judging education, how well students do on standarized tests.

Ultimately it comes down to education vs. training, like you had said. There certainly needs to be a differentiation between the two, at least on my part. I can see how it can be easy to confuse the two. I'm not going to delve any deeper. I like your definition and I'm going to hang onto that. It makes perfect sense...there's really nothing else I can say. Thanks for your reply.

Chris

Follow Ups: