Re: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on March 03, 2003 at 12:52:05:

In Reply to: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC) posted by JoeS on March 02, 2003 at 23:24:15:

Wow, what a post - I thought long and hard about it!

On a practical level, I'm for anything that gets people in support of music programs in the school; and if that means pandering on a certain level then that may be a necessary evil. I've been involved in too many unsupported and underfunded school music programs to not see the importance of making school music a priority by hook or crook.

On a personal level, it does frustrate me that this is even an issue - and the comment about a "Throw away culture" resonates with me deeply. I wonder if the fact that parents are in the habit of indulging seemingly every whim that their children have (mention an interest in something in passing and by week's end they have the necessary equipment and lessons set up) is making children less "hungry" in their development? When I wanted to take lessons I had to beg, plead, and cajole my parents into letting me take them - when I was finally successful I REALLY wanted them, and they refused to let me bail out even when I was "bored" and "miserable". As a result, I learned how to stick to something and see it through all the way. It seems as though now parents will allow their children to drop out of things as soon as it becomes an minor inconvenience - the "revolving door" atmosphere of private lessons seems to support that theory.

As a teacher on the elementary level, I'm doing my best to try and improve the situation; I use music from all different styles and genres, including avant garde, in meaningful and respectful ways (not merely "Wow, check out that - isn't that *weird*?"). We prepare extensively for our annual 4th grade symphony trip so they learn concert etiquette and how to listen/what to listen for.

Just my $.02

Daryl Bean

Follow Ups: