Re: Audition Etiquette

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on April 02, 2002 at 10:10:57:

In Reply to: Audition Etiquette posted by Pete on March 30, 2002 at 18:07:53:

The point of being focused and being a jerk comes when you show others that you are not willing to acknowledge and accept the friendliness of others. I would postulate that this question may be answered by the following:

1. Be nice, until its time to not be nice.
2. Being polite and excusing yourself from concersations that get in the way of your normal preparation is a good piece of advice.
3. Do treat the audition as a professional time to do your very best, and have an attitude of take no prisioners in your performance. (Not in your communications with others)
4. Remember that the group that you are auditioning for is looking for the best fit for the job. That does include the ability to work with others in a congenial atmosphere.
5. Remember that you may very well be given a reference by the orchestra or the winner, depending upon how you interacted with the orchestra/winner.

I know #4 and #5 are not as obvious, but they do happen. I was accepted into a group once based on the reference of an audition committee that recommended me, even though I didn't win their particular audition. It was based upon being able to play the music, and being able to adapt and work with the group. On that particular day, someone else won the audition, but I gained opportunity as well.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: