Re: Willson 3400 Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on April 01, 2002 at 08:10:17:

In Reply to: Willson 3400 Eb posted by Doc on March 31, 2002 at 02:04:00:

Hey Doc:

I highly recommend this horn. I have had mine about one year and outside of bad valves, I love it! I am working on the valves with my repairman and DEG covers the cost as the 2 year warranty allows. They have been really crappy from about the 3rd day I have owned the horn but two lappings and one honing later, I think we may have it licked. I am waiting for a set of "powdered blue-twisted steel valve springs" that are much lighter and faster. The springs that come with the horn are very tight and hopefully, these new springs will finally fix the horn's problem. If not, my repairmen can do one more "ultrafine" honing if they still stick, them I will have to turn the horn over to DEG as my repair man will only do so much (otherwise, DEG could claim his work mucked up the valves). I have one year left on my warranty. For the record, I have talked to many Willson euph owners and apparently, my sticky valves are not an isolated case. Piston valves are not perfect!

However, with that said, I love this horn. I always thought of switching to an E-flat for years but never got around to trying one. Now that I have, it is also my main horn. I use it for solo, tuba quartet, brass quintet, large brass ensemble and chamber music settings. I do not play in an orchestra but I would use it on every work that I would have previously used my F for and for many of the works that call for a larger horn. The low register on my horn is amazing. Very easy to play. Good sound and intonation in all registers. The high register sings. It is heavy compared to other horns I have owned but I like a solid horn. I use a leather pad on the bottom bow so it does not slide over on the bell side when I am holding it. The thing I like best about this tuba is how easy it is to play. I tell my friends all the time that when I play this horn, I feel like I am cheating. It is as if it is too easy, like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. One my previous horns, like my B&S F, I felt like I had to fight the horn at times. Using my air in a different way on certain notes, major shifts in my embouchure, etc. I have no such problems with this horn.

These are pricey but worth it. If you buy one, I would suggest paying one of the places that can carry them (like Joe S. or Brasswind, etc.) and then driving to DEG and picking out the horn there. DEG will bill the place you bought it from and you get the pick of the litter. I went to the place where I bought my horn, they had one in stock, I played it and liked it and took it. If I had more to choose from, perhaps I would have acquired one with better valves.

My two cents for what it is worth.

MG

Follow Ups: