Re: Re: Re: Re: Bach Cello Suites

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 01, 2002 at 01:27:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Bach Cello Suites posted by Chuck(G) on March 31, 2002 at 19:44:08:

I downloaded the G major suite in the triple edition for cello, viola, and violin.

Reading through the revision showed, that the editor apparently faithfully keeps Bach’s own articulations. Any completions and reinterpretations are marked as such ones.

I am not fully convinced of the spacing of the music in this engraving obviously done on computer. There also are a spot or two, where either the engraver and/or his application show their shortcomings.

But then this version is for free. And I greatly prefer the original string version, because that forces the player to make his own thinking of phrase lengths and placing of breath marks. These latters were not into the considerations of Bach while composing these pieces, but they are most important for the interpretation.

Doing ones own (re-)editions for low brass inevitably should lead to a better understanding of the structure of this music.

One point where puritanism should not be applied too rigorously is in the choice of keys. The original ones fit the bass trombone quite well. Tenor trombonists and hornists traditionally have played these suites a fourth higher. (At least there have been such versions in print).

Here the violin version comes in handy for euph players, that can read Bb treble clef. This version also makes the suites available for 3 valve euphs and baritones.

Klaus (who obviously has been working out of a cello version)

Follow Ups: