Re: Willson 3400 Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 31, 2002 at 20:23:25:

In Reply to: Willson 3400 Eb posted by Doc on March 31, 2002 at 02:04:00:

The Willson 3400 Eb that I own is an amazing tuba. It just flat performs. Others have mentioned that this is a very versatile horn and I agree. Mine is the most versatile horn I own. Over the last couple of months, I've used mine in an Italian opera concert (Overtures to La Forza, Nabucco, I Vespri, etc.), various small ensemble playing, and a run of the opera Boris Godunov. I'll probably use this horn when we play Sensemaya next month. I am finding that this horn is particularly effective with multiple mouthpieces. Depending on what mouthpiece I plug in, the color and character of the sound changes as well. With other horns I own, you also get a good deal of intonation or centering quirks doing this but not with the Willson. I was really surprised with the Boris especially. This opera has a true contrabass tuba part but I was reluctant to bring a howitzer into the pit. I tried the Willson with a somewhat larger mouthpiece and the combination really worked well. Overall, I'd say I can cover more repertoire with this horn than any other horn I know of.

I find mine very comfortable to hold and play on but since I use a tuba stand, that is the case with all my horns. It is a little heavier than most Eb tubas but not overly so. Also, it feels well made and solid. I find this particularly nice considering all the uses I put mine to.

The one drawback I have on mine so far is the intonation on the top of the staff A and Bb. Both are somewhat sharp on my horn and in talking to other Willson owners, this may be prevalent. However, alternate fingerings solve the problem easily.

No one can tell you what horn will work best for you. If you are looking for an Eb, you'd be well advised to check out the Willson. They are really great horns for most folks who try them and, like others have said, they seldom come up for sale used. That says something to me.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: