Re: after nine years...oh well...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 30, 2002 at 08:07:48:

In Reply to: after nine years...oh well... posted by Wade Rackley on March 29, 2002 at 12:34:34:

Wade,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. You should know that this is something that is going around right now in many places. Someone already mentioned the horrible situation in Shreveport. I just received my monthly information packet from ICSOM and the orchestras in Rochester and Milwaukee have both taken reductions in their lengths of season this year for about the same reasons as what you're going through. The fact is that lots of orchestras are going through a tough time now and many are being asked to tighten their belts.

If I were to give you any advice, I would say that you (the musicians) should do what you can to help save the institution. These tought times will pass, as they always do, and you'll want to have options when things get better. Also, you might view this as an opportunity. We faced this same situation here and the musicians decided not to reliquish pay without some more control over the institution in the bargain. In our case, one of the problems we faced was irresponsible running of the institution. The FPO was wasting money on very expensive programming that wasn't particularly popular. Before this season, the musicians had no say in those decisions and we had to just stand by and watch while this money was wasted. But when the board asked us to take pay cuts this year, we agreed on the condition that we would have equal input in the artistic (programming and other aspects as well) decisions. So far, it has worked great and the orchestra is turning around its financial fortunes. I urge you and your colleagues to consider a similar arrangement. It might work for you too. Best of luck to you!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: