Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Army Band "Pershing's Own" Tuba Vacancy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on March 29, 2002 at 20:31:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Army Band "Pershing's Own" Tuba Vacancy posted by Jay on March 29, 2002 at 00:08:05:

Jay,
Part of the concept of today's Army is consistently high standards for everyone involved, not just the Rangers/Airborne Infantry/AirAssault soldiers. The physical fitness standards are the same for everyone. Did the fact that I maintained those standards for 22 years make me a better tuba player? You bet! Sure, I had the knowledge, coming out of college. But, running my two miles consistently in the 13's, along with consistent practice, continuing to study, and the experience gained on the job enabled me to be a professional musician, not only at 8:00PM on stage, but also playing at 0:430 on the runway, or one o'clock in the morning in Sweden on tour after a 18-hour day already, or doing a 4 1/2 mile parade for the 4th of July in downtown Hot'lanta (along with Chuck Jackson) then loading the truck and setting up, and doing a 2-hour outdoor concert that night, filling up a 5/4 Rudy CC non-stop. I don't want to sound cocky, but I'd like to see any overweight, out-of-shape tuba player anywhere try to "bury" me or one of my comrades. Although retired, I'll always be an "Army Guy", and I'm proud of it.
-Lee Stofer
Master Sergeant, U.S. Army, Retired

Follow Ups: