Re: Re: Sousaphones: KING vs. CONN

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 27, 2002 at 13:28:05:

In Reply to: Re: Sousaphones: KING vs. CONN posted by Lee Stofer on March 27, 2002 at 10:11:23:

When did Conn take the weight out of their sousas?

Before I got the 40K BBb I found my 26K Eb quite heavy. But once I subbed in a band, where there was a full size post-WWII BBb Conn sousa. I had not brought my tuba mouthpiece, so I only had the chance to try it it on my shoulder. Even if in BBb it was very much lighter thanthe Eb 26K from the late twenties.

The standard brass for instrument making used to be the one, that each nation used for the powder containers of its military riffle cartridges. The US standard was the metallurgically seen worst of all national standards.

According to a former head of production of B&H, that was the factor that made US trumpets and trombones be the best sounding in the world. Maybe it also was the factor, that called for the heavy walled US low brasses.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement, that old Conns can sound like concert tubas. But one should never speak while standing in front of such a beast. The sound reflection will confuse your ears almost to the limits of nausea.

Klaus

Follow Ups: