Re: Eb vs. F, I need some help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on March 26, 2002 at 10:45:44:

In Reply to: Eb vs. F, I need some help posted by A curious Tubist on March 26, 2002 at 01:09:18:

I don't have much experience with F tubas, only what I have been told by my teacher and people that do play them. I play both CC and Eb. I really love Eb tuba and I do beleive that you can make it do everything an F tuba can and more but that is just my opinion. I have been told by people that play F tuba as a solo horn that you really have to work at playing an F tuba. A friend is going for a music performance degree and he just bought a pt-10. He said on some notes you better be buzzing exactly the note because it won't come out unless you are right on. I guess on the plus side they said playing an F tuba will make you a better CC player. I think the F tubas have a much better upper register that is inherent to their design where as the Eb tubas are good in the upper register they are easier than an F down low.

I could be wrong on my observations of an F tuba but I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong. I guess it would matter to what you wanted it for. I would get an Eb for all around playing unless you really want to play in a symphonic setting. I guess the best thing would be to play them and see what you think. Eb tubas are the best for circus music with all those flats.

-Jim

Follow Ups: