Re: Re: Re: tuba "tuning bits"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 26, 2002 at 08:48:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: tuba "tuning bits" posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 26, 2002 at 02:02:10:

I think maybe you misunderstand the nature of the operation I proposed. This is nothing approaching major surgery. In fact, you're only adding two parts to your existing main tuning slide. The connecting ferrule between the current slide tube and crook, and (maybe, I've heard this isn't always necessary) adding a spacer to fill the gap between the current slide tube and crook so there isn't a gap with the new longer ferrule. We're talking about a couple of solders here. When I explored this option on my Rudy, I found the parts at Custom Music (they were the exclusive sellers of RM products at the time) and the operation took less than 1/2 hour to perform. Nothing major about it at all.

I can really appreciate your desire to have the tuning slide in what I call a "neutral" position. Having the slide almost exactly half way out gives you the maximum flexibility to adjust intonation in either direction depending on conditions. This is exactly why I had this same procedure done on my horn. At the time it was my only horn and I used it playing everything from outdoor gigs in winter to outdoor gigs in summer (a temperature range of about 20-85 degrees). Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: