Re: Preference...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on March 25, 2002 at 20:33:54:

In Reply to: Preference... posted by Devin on March 25, 2002 at 17:56:51:

Devin:

Given that I've never heard ya, or know what playing you do . . .
I would choose the latter (good tone w/good accuracy), as you can always develop better tone/chops thru practice, and graduate to bigger mouthpieces over time. It's discouraging to work harder & wallow in one's own glorious tone, only to realize (make a way out-front recording some time) that in the context of a large ensemble you may or may not be projecting clearly as thought. For example, percussion can obliterate your overtones.

Given the difference between those mothpieces you're looking at, I should think you could find a happy medium! Try a bach 12, or a Mirafone C3, or some others in that range.

Also, both of the mouthpieces you mention are bowl-style cups. Sometimes a switch to a Helleburg style will make a big difference as well, particularly if you're on a short leadpipe, piston horn.
If that's the case, A Conn Helleburg should be on your short list of mouthpieces to try. It's not small, and is well known for potentially good articulation.

A trumpet player once opened my ears to the difference between the lovely tone I was wallowing in in the back row, and the concept of projection. While much of this comes from inside the head of the player, sometimes a mouthpiece as you've described will help develop the overtones & attack that yield projection, and once in your blood you take the concept to other mouthpieces & horns

Mark "Murphys law of mouthpiece selection: as soon as you find the right one, you'll switch horns :)" Mazak

Follow Ups: