Re: Musical disorders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on March 21, 2002 at 08:38:20:

In Reply to: Musical disorders posted by Tony E on March 20, 2002 at 22:01:41:

I am in agreement with Mr. Bertolet's discussion concerning students who don't listen to themselves and never correct problems that are heard better from recordings. I find in some of my students (in the large ensemble setting), that attention to their place within the group is never realized.

To take this a little further, I do have students in my program who are LD, or whatever label you desire to place on them. Getting these students to realize that there is a consequence for just putting the horn up to the face and blowing is a challenge. As it is, one of mine is a tuba player. There is a constant struggle to get him to play in the correct range of the horn. Nothing drastic like 2 octaves off, but one series off, and not paying attention to fingerings is a daily struggle. He does write in fingerings on his own, and is dependable to be at the events.

Another problem he faces is that he tends to try to follow someone else's part. If he decides to follow the tuba section leader, we are close to okay. When he decides to try to follow the clarinet part, and play their rhythmic pattern to the tuba range, then we're in trouble.

I also have an alto sax player in this arena. Again, dependable for attendance, but a daily reminder to keep the same tight lower lip embouchure is needed to help keep the drunk sounding ambulance from the band room.

Both of these players can follow rhythm patterns and sorta hear pitch. I don't mind helping them. Others who have no concept of rhythm or pitch don't succeed. I have heard many people who have no rhythm or pitch concept skills, and I cringe when I have to play with them.

Hope this helps, sorry its long.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: