Re: Eastman or Oberlin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by elliot on March 19, 2002 at 01:35:53:

In Reply to: Eastman or Oberlin posted by Michael (emerg. aud) on March 14, 2002 at 23:14:54:

I'm in the same place as you, minus the whole being accepted thing (i'm still crossing my fingers). I have friends who go both places, and so I've had a chance to interact with students from each school, and stuff like that. here's what I've drawn out of it for the most part. My disclaimer is that I have neither attended these schools nor even been accepted to them. Also, i think the most important thing is how well you mesh with the teacher, and I have not met either Don Harry or Ron Bshop in person:
Eastman is in a remote corner of rochester, a city without much going on. Musicians spend a lot of time in a practice room because there is not much else to do. the coursework is fairly heavy and there are a fair amount of non musical requiered classes. you interract with non musicans on an infrequent basis (exceting the required core courses) because eastman is removed from the rest of U rochester.
Oberlin is in a more rural setting (different than a small city). Oberlin seems to want to turn out more environmentally and politically aware musicians. Musicians come into contact with oberlin college students (who tend to be liberal and very politically active) more often. Unlike eastman, The quaint little college town of oberlin is very small so everything is in walkig distance, but there is stil lnot much going on, except visiting CSO concerts of course (which is easier when one of your friends has a car).

I've decided I think i want to go the university (rather than a conservatory) route. I've been accepted at Indiana and U Michigan, and from the brief meetings, I like both Fritz Kaenzig and Dan Perentoni. opinions?

Follow Ups: