Re: Willson 3050 vs. PT-6p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt S. on March 18, 2002 at 08:46:39:

In Reply to: Willson 3050 vs. PT-6p posted by Jim on March 17, 2002 at 11:33:00:

I like both my Willson 3050 and Ed's PT-6. For me, the Willson is the perfect horn. I absolutely love it. It's very consistent throughout the registers, and intonation is great. The horn is extremely mouthpiece sensitive so watch out for that. While I think that my 3050 is the greatest horn ever made, I have played a few that fall very far from being wonderful, so be careful. Some of the major differences I've seen between the PT-6 and the 3050 is the throw on the valves. The Willson valves are significantly shorter than the PT-6. Also, the PT-6 is somewhat heavier because the bell is thicker than the rest of the horn. I don't have a problem pulling my slides. It's very easy for me to reach through the wrap on the horn to reach them. Ed mentioned that the 3050's wrap was very different and awkward. Well, compared to some other horns I've played, it is, but I think that's just because it's bigger. I think both horns have a good sound, and are easy to control. I would suggest playing both of them, back to back so that you can get a fair comparison. Good luck with the horn.

Follow Ups: