Re: old Reiner "Living Stereo" recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Friend on March 17, 2002 at 20:22:23:

In Reply to: old Reiner "Living Stereo" recordings posted by js on March 17, 2002 at 15:26:00:

Joe, by all means cough up the $35-$40 it would cost to get the DG Re-Issues of the 1962 Von Karajan Beethovens with the BPO. Piquant sound that far surpasses any orchestra today. These were the days before the "Great Homogonization" of world orchestral sound. I wish I shared your views on the Reiner Years. To my ears they were un-balanced performances of relatively benign musical worth, although the playing was astounding. The only departure from my opinion would be the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra recording that, to this day, is unparalled in it's insight and depth of feeling. Odd, the movement without tuba is the one that has the most profundity to it. I won't speculate as to why, but in all the times I have played it, I always wanted to be a part of Elegia. Seems to me that this was his reflection on his impending death. The unsettled quality of the music directly mirrors his discontent with his lot in America. Get the Beethovens and sit back and be blown away by the ugue in the second movement of the Eroica. Now that's what every orchestra should strive for. Transcend the bounds of instruments and sing to the glory of the music.

Follow Ups: