Re: Aggravating Playing Circumstances

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on March 15, 2002 at 21:07:44:

In Reply to: Aggravating Playing Circumstances posted by Curious Tuba Player on March 15, 2002 at 12:50:26:

The other posts have assumed that your assessment of the problem is accurate.
I hope you're open-minded about a solution, because I do not intend the following to be critical of YOU.

ARE you sure the other player is "ahead"...or are the rest of you in section "behind?"

Don't scoff, but if you play in a large ensemble, outdoors, indoors, almost any type of hall you can think of, if YOU are playing "with the stick" - then the audience will hear the tubas are late. When YOUR sound is getting where the money is (the audience) at the same time the audience is hearing the rest of the ensemble, you will often THINK or FEEL like you are rushing or ahead of the beat.

My suggestion, hire the local symphony tubist to give your section a lesson or three "AS A SECTION" ... forget about the details of what YOU think is wrong with your section, and go in with the 'tude of learning to play AS a section. Y'all could well learn something which will both improve your section's ensemble-ness as well as each of your individual senses of section-ness and ensemble-ness. And trust that "glaring errors" such as what you're describing will come out in the process.

f.w.i.w.

Follow Ups: