A Funny Story My Teacher told me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Arnold on March 15, 2002 at 10:34:34:

Greetings,
I will try to be as politically correct as possible with this story. We recently did a "20th Century" piece by a very "famous" composer. One of the movements is intended to depict birds. There are all sorts of randoms squeaks and squawks going on by many different instruments. When I told me teacher we were playing this he immeadiately starts laughing, and I was thinking "Yeah I know the piece is pretty strange." Then he says, many years ago, I was in an orchestra that played the piece. During the concert at a perfectly planned moment of silence the Bass Trombone player "with a perfect attack" made a noise. Let's just say his horn was in his lap. Perhaps this story is funnier if you know the piece. But here is the real kicker there was a Contra-Bassoonist who was generally "not very well thought of, musicially and socially" HE WAS CLAIMING CREDIT FOR THE SOUND, ie he played a note then, this is how far he had sunk and was trying to gain approval. At any rate, I thought it was very funny and I wanted to share it with you wonderful people. Take care and I hope you were amused.
Arnold

Follow Ups: