Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgia music stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on March 07, 2002 at 16:46:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgia music stuff posted by Cliff on March 07, 2002 at 10:41:39:

I'm not in one of the Atlanta area schools, but West Hall is in North Georgia and the 9th District. I don't know what we're ranked out of the distrcts.

The troubling thing i see in fixing a presupposed "inequity" for south Georgia is that players who are on the bottom of the top (like me) have to compete not only against guys who are better than us, but also against guys who are not. Im at the level of playing that if there were a "fix" and i lived in south Georgia, I'd be making All-state every year. The reason I'm not right now is that there are about 16 guys who are better than me, and with 7 tubas in each band and one in the orchestra, that means i'm out. If, however, a guy from south georgia got in just because he was from south georgia, i believe i would feel slightly screwed. If he was better than me, fine, but if location was the determining factor, that would take away the entire point of the experience. The concept of south georgia having their "own" all state band would likewise cheapen the experience for both groups. There's a school up here, maybe you know of it, Banks County, which is not very admired for a music program. Bad previous director, poor demographic, that sort of thing. Well, West Hall's student teacher took over there this year and he got the kids motivated, and they had a dude make all-state. He made it because he EARNED it. His achievemment would be worthless if other folks got in just because of where they lived.

Doug "glad to see other folks from GA on the board" G

Follow Ups: