Re: any pro's playing on kalison tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on March 07, 2002 at 01:32:25:

In Reply to: any pro's playing on kalison tubas? posted by thinking on March 06, 2002 at 22:34:10:

Kalison's reputation on quality was not very high when their tubas first hit the market.
I know that they have made some very good improvements the past few years though with some new models. I tried the KAB77 4/4 CC about 3 years ago in San Antonio and it played very well, in my opinion, and the construction seemed more solid than their earlier models. As far as why you don't see top professionals playing them maybe due to several factors. Most use higher end horns from tried and tested brands such as Hirsbrunner, Meinl Weston, Alexander, Besson, etc. Kalison is still the new kid on the block comparably. Many conductors and section mates also have a big influence in the type of sound they think matches the ensemble and most of them only know and prefer the sounds of those "tried and tested" horns. Some pro's have more flexibility with experimenting with different equipment such as Jim Self because of his freelance and studio performing. I know he recently purchased a new Kalison piston valve cimbasso. If Kalison continues to improve on their product they MAY break into the market shopped by the top pro's.

FWIW, Ken

Follow Ups: