CMEA Solo & Ensemble

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kyle Cabral on March 04, 2002 at 23:29:44:

I dont really have a question, I just feel like sharing my experience at the CMEA solo and ensemble festival (cali.) at California State University Stanislaus.

I played in a brass quintet (2 trumpets, 1 t-bone, 1 french horn, and little ol' me on tuba). Any who, we were playing at 9:30 a.m. so we all assembled at about 10 til' 9. We had to wait however for our 2nd trumpet player and our french horn player because they had solos before the quintet played. So then when we were "assembled" we got a warm-up room and worked out some tricky little spots, mainly having to do with the tempo.

After we were pretty much all warmed up it was time to go on! We were playing the Canadian Brass version of Amazing Grace which was quite different and almost risky here in Turlock where EVERY single thing played at solo/ens. is clasical. Luckily for us the judge person guy was delighted with our selection. So there we were playing away and half way through our 1st trumpet's mouth got really really dry and you could tell a little but he managed quite well. When we were done the judge had only one thing to say. First he looked around then said "now I dont want to sound racist but you guy's arent black enough. you're playing 'white man's blues'." When he said this everyone had to keep from laughing. I can see where he was coming from though. Regardless of that one little critique, guess what we got. Unanimous superior? Nope. Superior? Nope. Try command preformance baby!!! Oh yeah. So now we get to play March 16th at the state theatre in Modesto. By then I think we will be able to play 'black enough'. Also I think we will be able to borrow a picc trumpet for the 2nd trumpet part.

Well alltogether this has been a really fun experience. I hope you enjoyed reading my little story.

Follow Ups: